Synthetic prostaglandin of the PGE-1 group, stimulating the contractile activity of smooth muscles. Buy Misoprostol
G02AD06 — Misoprostol
- G02AD — Prostaglandins;
- G02A — Uterotonics;
- G02 — Other gynecological;
- G — Genito urinary system and sex hormones.
A02BB01 — Misoprostol
- A02BB — Prostaglandins;
- A02B — Drugs for peptic ulcer and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD);
- A02 — Drugs for acid-related disorders;
- A — Alimentary tract and metabolism.
M01AE56 — Naproxen and Misoprostol
- M01AE — Propionic acid derivatives;
- M01A — Antiinflammatory and antirheumatic products, non-steroids;
- M01 — Antiinflammatory and antirheumatic products;
- M — Musculoskeletal system.
The active ingredient is Misoprostol, 0.2 mсg
Excipients — hypromellose, MCC (microcrystalline cellulose), castor oil, sodium starch glycolate, silicon dioxide colloidal.
It is available in rectangular white tablets for oral and vaginal use. It is packaged in aluminum blisters or cell paper packages of 3 and 4 pcs.
Pharmacological action of Misoprostol
The synthetic derivative of the lipid mediator PGE-1 has a wide range of physiological effects. Misoprostol stimulates the contraction of the myometrium, increases uterine tone, and facilitates the opening of the cervix and evacuation of the contents of the uterus. Induces labor and reduces the risk of cesarean section with weak delivery.
Acting on the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract increases blood flow and regulates the secretory activity of the glands of the gastric mucosa. In large doses, it increases the production of gastric mucus and bicarbonate production, neutralizing hydrochloric acid’s effect.
When administered orally, the drug is completely absorbed into the blood after 1.5 hours. Reaches the maximum concentration after a single dose of 200 mg in 10-15 minutes. Binds to plasma proteins by 85%. The liver transforms it into an active metabolite, misoprostol acid. The half-life is 20-40 minutes. It is excreted from the body with urine (80%) and bile (approx. 15%). With repeated use, it does not accumulate and does not cause adverse effects.
Indications for the use of Misoprostol
- Induction of labor during full-term pregnancy;
- Medical abortion (up to 10-11 weeks);
- Comprehensive treatment, prevention of erosive gastroduodenitis, peptic stomach ulcer, and 12p. The intestine is caused by taking NSAIDs.
Misoprostol can be used to stop life-threatening postpartum bleeding without the effect of other drugs.
The dosage of misoprostol is determined individually depending on the indications and the purpose of the reception. To prevent gastric ulcers, treating erosive gastritis is prescribed 200 mcg 2-4 times daily. The maximum daily dose is 400-800 mcg. The daily amount can be reduced by 50% in the presence of renal insufficiency. If there is poor tolerance of misoprostol, a single dose can be reduced to 100 mg.
In case of termination of pregnancy, the drug is taken strictly under the supervision of an obstetrician-gynecologist. Misoprostol is taken 36-48 hours after mifepristone. The dosage is 400 mcg (orally or buccal).
From the gastrointestinal tract: discomfort, pain in the upper abdomen, nausea, bloating, constipation, diarrhea.
On the part of the reproductive organs: pain syndrome associated with the contractile activity of the uterus, menstrual cycle disorders, and heavy bleeding.
Other: skin allergic reactions, weakness, fatigue.
- Hepatic, renal insufficiency;
- Intolerance of components;
- Pregnancy and lactation, when using the drug as a gastroprotection (due to the risk of miscarriage and excretion into breast milk);
- Age up to 18 years.
When conducting a medical abortion, Misoprostol should be used only in combination with Mifepristone, in specialized clinics, under constant medical supervision. It is forbidden to use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs within a week after taking them.