Advantages and disadvantages of medical abortion
The apparent advantages of medical abortion include the following:
- Very high efficacy (95-97%, according to official data; 99.7%, according to our data);
- Low rate of complications and side effects (up to 7%, according to official data; 2-4%, according to our data);
- No traumatic effects on the uterine mucosa (endometrium). This significantly reduces the likelihood of developing endometrial pathology in the future, which could affect subsequent pregnancies and oncopathology.
- There is no need for anesthesia (general or local). This eliminates the general anesthesia early and late complications.
- The uterine cavity Infection, complications such as pelvic adhesions, tubal infertility (fallopian tubes) are avoided;
- Infection no possibility with hepatitis B, C, or HIV;
- No need for hospital treatment;
- The impact on reproductive function is minimal;
- It is the choice method for primiparous women and young girls.
- The procedure relative painfulness. Although the pain is moderate for most women, this factor should always be considered.
- For some women, it is psychologically more difficult to tolerate.
- The procedure takes a longer time.
- With the woman increasing age, it is likely that there are relative contraindications for the procedure. (Source)