Contraindications to medical abortion
The absolute contraindications list is not very long, but it must be strictly followed. “Absolute” means that MTP is strictly prohibited in the below situations.
- Ectopic pregnancy (suspected or confirmed);
- A pregnancy that has occurred while using an intrauterine device (IUD). The IUD must be removed;
- The reproductive organs Infectious inflammatory processes in the acute stage. Adequate treatment is needed;
- Infectious inflammatory processes in the gastrointestinal tract in the acute stage: gastritis, enterocolitis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis. Adequate treatment is necessary;
- Severe bronchial asthma and other chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (severe or decompensated);
- Prolonged treatment with corticosteroids;
- Chronic hepatic, adrenal insufficiency;
- Hypersensitivity to Mifepristone or Misoprostol;
- Various genesis Hemorrhagic disorders: hemophilia, hemorrhagic anemia stage II-III, hemorrhagic syndromes;
- Anticoagulants administration (heparin, frauxiparin);
- Cardiac valve replacement, infectious endocarditis history;
- Severe arterial hypertension is a contraindication to Misoprostol use. Mifepristone is the only option for medical abortion in this setting.
Below is a list of relative contraindications to abortion pills. “Relative” means that MTP must be performed with great caution if the conditions listed below are present.
- Smoking women over 35 who smoke more than ten cigarettes a day belong to the relative restrictions group.
Often, abnormal processes in the clotting system occur in this patient category, resulting in more prolonged and more intense bleeding. A consultation with a general practitioner should precede medical abortion services.
- Uterine myoma. MTP is possible only after a gynecologist nodule and the relevant opinion size and objective localization examination.
- Breastfeeding mothers should stop breastfeeding for seven days after Mifepristone administration (if 200 mg dosage is used, the period increases with higher dosages).
In progress, spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) is not a contraindication to the Mifepristone+Misoprostol complex. In this condition, the complex will ensure the fetal egg’s accelerated release within complete abortion a reduced chance.